[TenTec] Ten Tec Advertising

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec Advertising
From: Douglas <sparks06524@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 01:42:49 -0700 (PDT)
I do wonder about the future of Ten-Tec and as of late I've not been too
convinced of the effectiveness of Ten-Tec advertising. Their recent QST full
page ads simply extolling "Great Audio" don't seem too impressive.

I suppose they are trying to change their image from a company that is seen as
catering mainly to CW enthusiasts. However, how many Hams are really into the
"great audio" argument? Those that are really into great receive and transmit
audio are probably running vintage rigs on AM and are not potential Ten-Tec
customers. The DX crowd couldn't care less about audio quality - witnessed by
the highly processed audio you hear during DXpeditions and contesting. Ask the
average ham about audio quality and they'd probably reply that good audio is
whatever is most effective in punching through and making the QSO. Bob Heil
sells a lot of his mics based on that.  Hey, there's an idea: How about Ten-Tec
teaming up with Heil and using his reputation to sell "Heil tailered audio"
rigs and or accessories? A Ten-Tec/Heil audio equalizer, for example?

So, where is the market that Ten-Tec is trying to reach with their current
advertising? Meanwhile, flip a few pages and read the jazzy ads that Yaecomwood
are running. I know that advertising budgets for Ten-Tec must be limited,
however I sure wouldn't spend a limited budget on a campaign like this.

Their former technical facts ads were decent. Also, rotating their QST ads more
often through their product line, rather than running the same ad for 2 to 3
months would be more effective. However, that again probably relates to budget
in terms of layout and design costs.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT