[TenTec] Orion-1 problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion-1 problem
From: bill ogden <billogden@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 19:32:58 -0400
The received signal strength on my Orion-1 is way down.  The sub receiver is
OK. The effect is as if a send/receive relay did not fully revert to receive.
I hear a few strong signals, as if they were "feed through" with a send/receive
relay.

I just installed the latest firmware in the hope that this might fix the
problem.  It did not fix it, but it provided an interesting clue. The new sweep
function is much better than the old one. The sweep seems to indicate normal
signal strengths on the main receiver.  This implies that the problem is after
the point where the sweep circuit does its work.

This problem was sporatic for almost a year.  It happened every few weeks.  It
would sometimes cure itself after a few seconds, or sometimes after a power
off/on cycle.  The problem is permanent now.

I plan to send the rig home to Tennessee for a general tune up, but not until
after the Gloriso DXpedition in July --- I hope I can work them via the sub
receiver!

Any suggestions?

(I cannot evaluate the new RF AGC yet, but it may take a little getting used
to.  I usually control gain via the RF gain control when working CW and this
has a different feel with the new RF AGC.)

Bill - W2WO