[TenTec] Orion-1 problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion-1 problem
From: bill ogden <billogden@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:27:06 -0400
Based only on a gut feeling, I suspected the problem was in the switching
diodes.  Several people suggested playing with the noise blanker.

SUCCESS.  The receiver works if the "hardware" noise blanker is ON.  This gives
me a working receiver until I ship it home for a general tuneup.  (Hank - K7HP
hit the nail on the head)

(The primary reason for wanting a general tuneup is that the NB and NR
functions have never worked very well. I realize they are software
effects--except for the hardware NB.  Also, I have always felt the audio chain
(with no signal) was too noisy, while the absolute amount of audio power
available was low.  With weak CW, I often have both the AF and RF gain at
maximum while feeding 40-ohm headphones.)

I thank everyone for their help.

Bill - W2WO