Re: [TenTec] Centaur

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centaur
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:48:32 -0400
Great story, GM !!

Proves what my mother (an old battle axe type school
teacher) always said... not every kid learns the same way
the other kids do.

One thing I have learned from EVERYONE advising me ... it
takes DAILY PRACTICE ... and that is, for me, very difficult
as I am a "read once - so got it"  kind of guy...   and this
requires a different method of learning and an different
type of study discipline as you suggest.

Your advice about sending while learning makes perfect
sense, and mirrors what others have told me.  I am part of a
local group learning together, so we can practice among
ourselves, and with experienced local guys without going on
the air.

I have heard about the Code Quick program, and it has a
solid following.   I am now using a Koch-Farnsworth method
computer program, but the daily practice is my weakness, I
get impatient and my mind wanders.   I play guitar rather
well, but I have NEVER practiced that, either.   THIS calls
for HARD WORK and daily routine !   Arghhhh !

Thank you for your story.   (and yes... educators have a way
different view of learning these days!)

geoffrey mendelson wrote:

  > Someone introduced me to a code course called CODE QUICK
and I was  able to pass the 13 wpm test in about two months.

once I  had learned code with Code Quick, I was able to use
his 35 WPM tapes  to get up to that speed.

the best way to increase you  speed is to use it,  ... practice
sending as you learn ...

> Once you get up to the point you can send CLEARLY, then
you should go  on the air.