Re: [TenTec] Head-Phone volume in Orion2

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Head-Phone volume in Orion2
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:56:39 -0700
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 06:47:01 -0700 (PDT), ac5aa1@gmail.com wrote:

>I think it is common to the Orion & Orion II with low-Z phones.

Most output stages used to drive headphones are really small power
amplifiers, and have rather low impedance. For these output stages,
the lower the impedance of headphones, the more current  they will
draw  from the output of a headphone amplifier(and thus be louder).
An exception is a headphone output with a high value resistor in
series, which would limit current.

Note that this is general statement. I haven't seen the circuitry
for the Orion, but the guys who started Ten Tec were audio guys (and
CW guys), and everything I've seen from Ten Tec has followed good
audio practice.

73,

Jim K9YC