Re: [TenTec] Head-Phone volume in Orion2

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Head-Phone volume in Orion2
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:58:41 -0600
On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 12:23 -0700, Jim Brown K9YC wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:58:55 -0600, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
>
> >There is
> >> no good reason the existing output stage shouldn't work just fine
> >> with enough GAIN in the audio chain and headphones of reasonable
> >> sensitivity.
> >>
> >> 73,
> >>
> >> Jim K9YC
> >>

> >True. But in the absence of a firmware fix, a $30 amplifier can solve
> >the problem in a couple days.
>
> Lemme see if I understand this. I should spend a week finding and
> buying parts, making a circuit board, putting it into some kind of
> reasonable package, designing and testing it, all because the
> manufacturer of a $4,600 radio can't do the simple calculations to get
> the gain right in the audio chain?  Ya gotta be kidding! If I had spent
> that money with that result, you can bet I'd be on the phone to Ten Tec
> management DAILY, and if there was no quick and GOOD fix in my hands,
> I'd be making a very public stink.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

Naw, its not that hard. Go to the RS page on line, search for a head
phone amplifier and pick from those numbers I gave for a module ready to
plug into the head phone jack and ready for the head phones. Might need
a couple AA batteries or a wall wart. No significant assembly required,
includes a gain control and equalization if you pick that module. No
soldering needed unless you go with the first number that's monaural and
then you'd need a pair to separate the two audio channels, and a bit of
a pair of split cables. And that would give you independent gain control
on the two channels.

True enough a $4600 radio should NOT need such a patch.

73, Jerry, K0CQ