Re: [TenTec] OII no more development

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OII no more development
From: Jeff Sumner <jdos2@att.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:00:49 -0500
Well stated, Joel- and thank you for reminding me of the balance the
manufacturer does indeed have to strike.

I'm looking at my advertisement flyer for the Orion Two and remembering why
I got it.

First of all, I had traded away my Icom for it- which had a wonderful sweep.
I'd seen the Orion display at Dayton and wasn't terribly impressed- the Icom
756PROIII does it very, very well.

But in my copy of the Orion-II flyer I read that there'd be a "HIGH SPEED
SWEEP accessory" [caps-SIC!].
Since I also have an operator within a couple blocks that couldn't use
anything but 500 watts on RTTY (on 20) which so badly overloaded the Icom
(to the point I couldn't use it) I was sold.

And there it is. I wanted THAT. I wanted better than the Icom- and what
wasn't better, to not be WORSE.

The radio works to perfection. I haven't even updated my firmware past the
last official release- it works well enough for me. I can't hear Mr. RTTY (I
do hear his clicks, of course- and he's since moved to 500 watts on PSK
fairly often) except when I tune to him.
But...
My sweep. Where's my sweep? It's not contractual. TenTec never said that
they guaranteed that there would be one, but the SALES literature said that
one was "future planned." I'm guessing that it still is- or at least "future
wished"

So... I'm duped. Again. Not badly. The radio is great. Fun, works fine. Nice
audio- fantastic filtering.
But I'm duped. That diversity reception thing bit me too, but... Enh. I can
live with it (6 Hertz is a hellofa beat!)
My frustration is that the radio doesn't live up to what the sales
literature said I was going to get in my own expected timeframe. That's all.

I'll keep enjoying what is the best radio I've yet found for me. I also
believe Ten-Tec promised better than THAT.
KC4FOX