[TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 05:37:59 -0500
Time for a new rig.

Thought I would go for the O7, but most of my friends are pushing me towards
the K3.

I tested the Omni VII extensively in Germany 3 years ago and am very
familiar with it.

I absolutely fell in love with it.

I did side by side tests with :  Orion 1, FT-1000 MK5, FT-2000, and K2.

I was at a contest station at the time with BIG antennas (beams on all but
160m).

Using a home-brew preselector with the Omni VII, it held its own with the
others, not as good as the Orion, but good enough for my purposes.

I owned an Orion I at the time.

I liked the Omni VII better for its ergonomics and smaller size.

I have owned two  K2s,  so I am familiar with its ergonomics, features, and
short comings.

I assume the K3 will be similar.

I no longer have the Orion.

The new rig is to be my main rig, not used for travel, and I have no plans
to ever remote an HF transceiver.

I work about 50/50, rag chewing on 40/80 SSB, and semi-serious contesting on
CW.

No FM required.

I have never even seen a K3 and don't know anyone locally who has one.

Open for opinions but please don't flame each other, guys!

73

Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP

Now in Oklahoma