Re: [TenTec] Delta 580 for Young Ham

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Delta 580 for Young Ham
From: John Graves <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 22:41:45 -0400
Just to jump into the fray.  Listening to short wave is still
enjoyable.. Just not in the same place or as plentiful. I don't know if
the foreign stations still send QSL cards but I still have several from
Radio Australia, Radio Switzerland, and OF COURSE, Radio Moscow, from 50
years ago. (Arrggghh)  If it is reasonable, I would see if you could
find a Jupiter to loan him, if not a SW receiver.  It is a nice
receiver, and more reasonable than the Omni VII.  Just a thought.  Now I
have to go sneak a look at my old QSL cards HI.

John / WA1JG

Richards wrote:
> Just a thought...    I started with  the Omni VII.... that is a good
> "starter rig"   also....    Help the economy and  get him started
> in good form for sure !     He is worth it, right ? ! ? ! ?
>
> Happy trails !
>

> (But seriously, could you not just get him a decent SW radio
> that covers SSB, etc.?  Would that not start him off OK... and
> you guys could sell it later for pretty much what you purchased
> it for, and apply that towards a ham rig.   That would allow him
> to get into SWL-ing also...  which is not a bad hobby for a young
> man.  Decent rigs are out there in good shape...   Kenwood R2000
> would be a good one,  or even the R5000,   Icom R71,  or even
> a Grundig  350,   or E-1,  or  even an $80  Kaito KA-1102 would
> work OK ---   a really good starter rig is the Realistic DX-394 for
> about $150 p does SSB and CW swell, as well as the general coverage
> SWL bands.)

> On 5/12/2010 1:12 PM, Darrell Bellerive wrote:
>
>> In my search for a good radio for him to listen to the bands, I have
>> decided that a Ten-Tec Delta 580 would be a great starter rig.

John Graves
WA1JG
jh.graves@verizon.net