Re: [TenTec] wither CW?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] wither CW?
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:36:25 -0700
On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:43:26 -0400, Phil Chambley Sr. wrote:

>I think the advent of the sound-card interface is probably responsible for
>much of the perceived  increase in CW participation,

I seriously doubt that. Our contest club is about 600 members. I know of only
two guys who use a computer to copy CW.

Sound card interfacing certainly IS great for digital modes like RTTY, PSK,
and WSJT.

Richards said:

>I suspect the reason more operators do CW then SSB in dual type contests,
>is because a CW contact generally counts for more points than and SSB
>contacts.

Perhaps -- but I think most do CW more than SSB because they like it better.
Thats certainly true for me. Also, in the state QSO parties, it is FAR
easier for me to work CW mobiles than SSB mobiles from 2,000 miles away! I
had a great time this spring working mobiles who were activating as many as 8
counties each in the New England, Georgia, and Florida QSO Parties from my
QTH near San Francisco. They were weak but workable on CW, never heard them
on SSB.

73,

Jim K9YC