Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]

To: <geraldj@weather.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 13:25:40 -0500
I have had different experience, Jerry.

Living in Europe, I often found myself with the ham shack on the 2nd or 3rd
floor and occasionally even higher.
Obtaining a good ground is a challenge under these conditions.

Running my Omni V, VI, and VI+ into a linear, I sometimes found I would have
certain bands where I couldn't run more than about 300w before the circuit
breaker on the 961 blew.  Usually it was 15m but sometimes even 40m.

I found by inserting a line isolator (mine was from Radio Works) between the
transceiver and the linear, it always cured this problem.

A few times I had my shack at ground level or in the basement and had a
short lead to a good ground.
I never encountered this problem under these good conditions.

My take out of that was always have one of these line isolators with me on
my portable operations because you never know what kind of ground you will
get at the portable QTH.

73
Rick