Re: [TenTec] Headphones for ORION I?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headphones for ORION I?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:12:34 -0500
Heil did the luncheon speech at Central States VHF Conference in St.
Louis last month and to hear him talk he's the worlds best expert on
audio bar absolutely none. And he's proud that he flunked out of
engineering school the first semester. I wanted to shout out, "Sonny, if
you HAD gone to college, and could have learned the math, you could have
done these audio things in one tenth the time and they would have been
right a lot more often!"

He bragged up being on VHF in the days when I was a new ham. He wasn't
one that talked to other hams in the area. We heard about that
mysterious ham doing EME but he didn't condescend to talk locally.

As an organist accustomed to voicing and tuning large pipe organs, he
has developed a talented ear, but that's only a crutch without knowing
acoustic fundamentals. I've played several musical instruments for the
past 60 years, still play double bass and my ear isn't bad either. Thing
is with the bass, I can't tune it and forget about tuning for a week, I
have to tune each note I play. There are no frets, no presets.

As for the XLR, there are XLR and there are junk that try to pass as
XLR. Switchcraft makes lots of good audio connectors but their XLR has
too little metal in the female socket pins to be reliable in my experience.

On 8/12/2010 12:37 AM, Jim Brown K9YC wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:51:05 -0400, kc9cdt@aol.com wrote:
>
>> They consulted with Bob Heil...I think...but they didn't use the XLR
>> jack like he recommended as well.
>
> Heil is not an audio expert, he is a MARKETING expert. BIG difference.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

73, Jerry, K0CQ