Re: [TenTec] Headphones for ORION I?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headphones for ORION I?
From: Joe Roberts <jroberts@io.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:50:44 -0400
On 8/12/2010 3:46 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:
> Joe,
>
> You may want to read Rob Sherwood's web site on receiver and rig
> testing, about excess audio response.  He reports operators get tired
> listening to any audio above the voice or SSB, needed frequencies.
> In fact, you may want to put a band limiting filter in front of any hi
> fi headphones to avoid operator fatigue if you do much DX operating.

I don't have to ready Sherwood (or Heil or K9YC)to know that.

Ack-tually, I'm kind of a two-bit audio expert myself, as former DIY
magazine editor and current high end tube audio manufacturer/consultant.

My ears might be going at age 50 but I am still kind picky about audio.

Anything outside the IF filter passband I don't want to hear, because it
is noise.

In my experience, using Beyerdynamics DT-990s or even full range cheapos
is asking for trouble. I really like the Sony MDR-7505 for
communications but they have to much HF response for comfort. Sometimes
I use them on a quiet band but not all the time.

My favored solution is restricted bandwidth but high quality headphones.
The Telephonics TDH-39 elements are about my favorite. Rated at less
than 1% distortion and a standard in the field of audiometry. $300 a set
retail to the trade. Very precise and comfortable to use long term.

Also I go through the rigs I use and get rid of as much IF/AF noise and
hiss as possible. My Omni V is almost super quiet, with just a tiny hint
of hiss with RF and AF cranked up.

If the Orion has little to no extra noise beyond what is coming though
the antenna connector, I want one (someday).

And on the question of "audio experts" I say if you've found something
you like, then go for it! After all, you are the one who has to listen
to it, not the "expert!!"

Nevertheless, I listen to what everybody has to say for the educational
experience.

Joe N5KAT