Re: [TenTec] Original Orion Firmware

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Original Orion Firmware
From: "Martin Sole" <hs0zed@csloxinfo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:35:11 +0700
I use a variety of software but mostly 2.062a and the latest beta. There are
something's in the beta I really like and I'm sure the continued development
will only improve on these whilst hopefully fixing most of its ills.

Perhaps top of my wish list is for the software to become more configurable,
if that's the right word. Rather than add to the comments of others all of
whom seem to be heading in a fairly common direction I really would like to
see more use made of the simple easy to use menu system. Well I would like
one key mode changing but my band registers kinda get me through that one .

What I mean by more configurable is such as with regard to the pbt and bw
tracking. The menu allows this to be on or off, I'd like to see more of
this, particularly keeping the pbt and bw stored with the band registers but
with the option to switch that off. Maybe some presets for the AGC, say CW
data voice and then a few different condition settings, quiet band, noisy
band etc and being able to choose from a selection of these and have the
software optimise what it believes should be best for that situation. Of
course with the retention of the fully manual override to improve and tweak
things on the fly.

A stepped RF gain control and a fully variable attenuator, maybe by
switching these controls but I'll bet the hardware somewhat precludes that
idea.

A better software EQ system with at least 6 bands maybe another screen off
the audio menu.

All the other cool stuff people have asked for.

Oh yeah can you please please please tidy up the display. It's just plain
annoying that characters don't line up on screen or that the text in the
boxes isn't equally aligned on a professional piece of kit.  (Rant over hi
hi)

Martin, HS0ZED