Re: [TenTec] The Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 21:19:57 -0400

On 9/25/2010 20:07, Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP wrote:
> Barry, if you don't purchase any options for the K3, then it is a fair
> comparison.

                Are we being careful to compare apples to apples?
                When comparing the K-32 any other unit, I always make
                sure that I am comparing the K-3 factory build price
                with the other radio, because they are, then, both
                all manufactured for you.  I don't consider the kit price of
                the K-3 in these cases.  I hope that's not too silly…

> By leaving off AM, FM, and noise limiter, you do not need a wide

                I'm not getting the optional AM and optional FM thing
                here.  I don't see anything listed under the "OPTIONS"
                section of the brochure.   I presume that one must
                pay extra to have the rig do AM, right?

> You also lose a bit of performance on the general coverage RX.

                Why is that?   Why would it play better in the ham
                bands, and not on the SW bands or in between?
                Or, are they just saying it could have somewhat
                degraded performance, just to be on the safe side,
                since we are not really going to rate or at decide
                to buy the radio for that reason, anyway.  I don't
                see why it should receive worse on one frequency
                then another just a few megahertz either side of
                a particular ham band.  Could someone enlighten
                me on this?

SIDEBAR:  am I the only one thinking that Ten-Tec will score a coup, a
victory of sorts, by beating Kenwood to market with a rig in this
price/performance category?  Kenwood announced its new radio several
months ago, but I don't believe it is available yet.  It would be a real
deal if Ten-Tec could leapfrog Kenwood in the race to produce a good
midpriced level radio.

Happy Trails.