Re: [TenTec] The Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:03:01 -0400
> (I apologize to the group; this is a very long post.

                THANKS FOR THE DETAILED EXPLANATION.    Helps a lot.

                THAT makes sense, and gives it an historical perspective.

> My biggest question to you Richards, is, why do you even want a general
> coverage receiver in your main ham rig?

                I don't, really.   I only mentioned it because, even with
                the design and purpose limitations you explain, it is
                STILL a really good general coverage receiver for use on
                the SW broadcast bands, and I did not know that it did not
                receive equally well across the HF spectrum.

                A good general coverage receiver is, for me, is pure gravy
                on a ham transceiver.    The fact the radio I purchased for
                ham is also a good general SW receiver - better than my
                Kenwood R-5000 receiver, for example, and my other
                "good" table top SW receivers, is an unexpected bonus.

                I do not intend to make a purse of a sow's ear, but I am
                delighted that, incidentally, the "degraded" SW band
                reception on the Omni VII is still pretty darned good.

                But now I know why there is "degraded" performance on
                GC reception.

> Buy yourself a good used GC RX for $300, or one of these new SDR radios for
> a few dollars more, and keep it independent of your ham radio transceiver.

                I have several already, but I don't use them much any more
                as the Omni VII can do it all well - even with its "degraded"
                GC performance.

> If you insist on having the GC RX within your transceiver, unless you pay
> $4000, you will have degraded performance on the ham bands !!!!!!!!!!

                I don't insist on that.    I am just tickled that my ham
                rig works so well as a GC receiver - again, a bonus feature.

> You just can't win the Indy 500 in a Chevy Malibu.

                You got that right !!

THANKS AGAIN  for the detailed answer.    Your points are well taken and
comport with advice from other Elmers.

PS ---  I think I understand why guys like the K-3, and would buy one over
the Omni VII -- but I am not as clear as to why other guys would want to
spend $7500 - $10,000 on a rig from Icom or Yaesu which does not seem to
have better receiver or transmitter performance  (more bells and whistles,
and more buttons and knobs on the front panel, but not really better radio
specifications.)