Re: [TenTec] The Eagle

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:59:59 -0500
I have thought about buying an Omni VII for some time.  I am somewhat
reticent about it as it is more of a computer than a radio, and after
all of the complaining on this list about other high performance
computer/radios I am leery of winding up with an overly complex and
temperamental radio.  I bought one of the last 526 multi-mode VHF
radios, and found that it did not perform as well in most areas as my
Argo II and transverter station, so I sold it.  The 526 had lots of
bells and whistles, but there was no way to alter the high speed QSK
which was not compatible with my ancient Mirage 6 meter brick amplifier.
The noise blanker was not as good on the newer radio, either. So, the
526 found a happier home elsewhere.

Right now, I have my Omni V.9 hooked up to my Elecraft 6 meter
transverter and the same old Mirage amplifier.  It works pretty well,
though the noise blanker on the Omni is nowhere near as good as that in
the Argo II.  It has served well, though through some major openings the
past several years.  I spend most of my time on 6 meters.

I run a Corsair II on HF, and it also does very well.  It is simple,
works great, but is getting long in the tooth.

The most fun I have had on HF, was when I was running my Heath HW-9, and
later the Argonaut II.  Both of these radios are simple, effective, and
even for someone like me with XXL size hands, easy to use.

I am thinking about one of these Eagles, but they do not have a separate
6 meter antenna connector, and I am not sure if one would be easy enough
to use to replace the Corsair II.  If I get an Eagle or Omni VII, I
could replace most of my HF and 6 meter gear with one box, which would
leave enough room in the shack to keep my Drake 2B, and Gonset GSB-100
station set up all the time.  I am not a competitive contest operator,
and appreciate simplicity, durability, and longevity over the latest and
greatest.

Does anyone here have any comments on how I might proceed?

73,

Steve WA9JML