Re: [TenTec] The Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle
From: Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:12:54 -0400
I say yes this can be build... if you strip the eagle down to bare minimum,
and have only a the simple controls that the older rigs, how can it not be
built.  Strip off the DSP, and have fixed filters.  Most of the circuitry
has already been designed.  The Output PA is done, the VFO is done, Audio
portion is done, all that is really needed is to repackage it.  I am talking
about a basic HF transceiver here.  No Split, no memories, to dual VFOs, no
fancy multi color display, no IF port, just something simple to get people
on the air.

The Tentec Triton has the following controls:

Band
AF gain
RF Gain
Drive
ALC
Resonate
Offset
Mode (SSB, SSB-R, CW 1, CW 2, Tune)
VFO

With the modern designs this can be dropped to:

AF Gain
RF Gain
ALC
Mic Gain
Offset
Mode (Same modes)
VFO

That is 7 knobs.

How can this not be build in a production environment and be sold for under
$500 and make a profit?  Like I said most of the electronic design work has
been done already, so where is the real cost driver here?