Re: [TenTec] The Eagle

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle
From: Kevin Anderson <k9iua@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 06:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
The Eagle looks and sounds like a great rig.  Too bad I can't afford one.  I
can't even afford a used Argo V - just can't justify that expense with the
economy as it is.

But on the subject of that $500 radio...I've long wished that Ten-Tec could
have put out an all-band version of the Scout, dispensing with the individual
band modules.  I own two Scouts (a 555 and the QRP 556), and love the radio for
their simplicity and near bullet-proof operation even with the compromises and
less selective reception.  When TT came out with the Argo V, I had originally
thought they had what I was looking for, but the inclusion of the DSP and such
that made the rig "fancier" seems to also keep the price outside of my range.
But maybe I'm wrong, and the reality of radio production is such that it was
the DSP that kept the price as low as it did, and that a basic solid all-band
version of the Scout just costs that much, which unfortunately is beyond my
means.

And so I will resign to keep using my Scouts, and popping band modules in and
out.  And hope that the Eagle takes off and becomes successful, keeping Ten-Tec
around for even longer.

Kevin, K9IUA