Re: [TenTec] OT

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:30:06 +0000
A Resistive choke will *always* reduce CM currents; a Reactive choke may
not.

Here's an extract from an EMC handbook:

"For high frequency applications, ferrites should be viewed as frequency
dependent resistors. Since they are magnetic components that exhibit
significant (and useful) loss over a bandwidth of over 100MHz, ferrites
can be characterized as high frequency, current operated, low Q series
loss elements. Whereas a purely reactive (i.e., composed only of
inductors and capacitors) EMI filter may induce circuit resonances and
thus establish additional EMI problem frequencies, lossy ferrites cannot."

If chokes experience significant heating it does not mean they are
working; it means they have inadequate impedance, and have not reduced
the CM current sufficiently. Properly designed ferrite-cored chokes
should easily handle US maximum power levels - their core flux is not a
direct function of the differential power they are handling.

73,
Steve G3TXQ