Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 14:00:41 -0600
If the rig can't accept 5% uncertainty in the antenna feed Z and
resonance, its not going to work with ANY untuned antenna because they
can change that much from wind, ice, rain and perched birds.

The main benefit of the recommended lengths that I've seen is that the
feed impedance is mostly resistive, though low or high and easity fed
with either a series tuned link coupled tuner or a parallel tuned link
coupled tuner. That the recommended lengths of wire and feed don't
reflect highly reactive loads to the tuner. Using a simple wire on
multiple bands presupposes a tuner because of the wide range of resonant
impedances. An antenna needs traps, stubs, parallel wires, or lots of
resistive loading to present an impedance the modern fixed match solid
state rig over most of the HF bands. Even the leaky dummy load works
after a fashion if the situation requires instantaneous frequency change
with absolutely unskilled operators if one is willing to accept its
occasionally poor efficiency.

73, Jerry, K0CQ