Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:23:52 -0800

On 11/30/2010 4:17 AM, d.e.warnick@comcast.net wrote:

>> Having a wife who is herself a  ham may be an advantage.
>

> Hold on there. Then you'd have to share your toys and some of the time at the
> key.

Believe me, I have more radios than I can use, and a wife who has no
interest in CW.
I was always one of those people, especially as a VE, who thought that
anyone who wouldn't man up and learn the code was just lazy.
Even with her two MS degrees and having retired as a college professor,
apparently she has some sort of cognitive deficiency that precludes
seeing or hearing patterns, as in the Morse code characters.  She did
try to learn, though, but would never be able to get much past the 5 wpm
mark.

Besides, she has her own IC-706, which she used one year at Field Day to
set up a 6/2m SSB station so that some of the newer hams in the club
could see what could be done within the limits of a Technician license.
I often wonder how many of the shack-on-the-belt types even bothered to
renew at the 10-year mark.

>>> Also, at least here in soCal, it's becoming more and more difficult to
>>> buy a new home that doesn't have deed restrictions.  Odd that these
>>> restrictions don't expire when the last house in the development is
>>> sold, at which point common sense would dictate that the developer no
>>> longer has an interest in the project.  If there's an HOA, all bets are off.
> The problem is that the owners then fear that their property would be
> devalued. If you allow towers and antennas, then you allow other things. Some
> folks think that makes their property worth less. We may not like it, but
> that's just the way it is.

As hard as it is to accept as hams, a number of those same restrictions
help us to maintain our collective property values by not allowing
people to park junk cars all over their property, or to let trash
accumulate, or to paint their houses some outlandish color.