Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor Antenna

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor Antenna
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 15:25:46 +0000
To illustrate Ken's point, here are some measurements I made on the
feedpoint resistance of my 160m 40ft top-loaded vertical as I added
radials. Rrad for this antenna should be about 5 Ohms.

6ft Ground rod only: 33 Ohms, Efficiency = 15%, VSWR = 1.5
Ground rod + 5 radials: 13 Ohms, Efficiency = 38.5%, VSWR = 3.8
Ground rod + 10 radials: 9 Ohms, Efficiency = 55.5%, VSWR = 5.5
Ground rod + 15 radials: 7 Ohms, Efficiency = 71.5%, VSWR = 7.1

I ended up with a 9:1 impedance transformer at the feedpoint to give me
a reasonable match to 50 Ohms. With just the ground rod I would have had
a reasonable match without any transformer, but the efficiency would
have been 15% (-8.2dB).

Estimated ground loss resistance for the 6ft Ground rod on its own was
28 Ohms.

73,
Steve G3TXQ