Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor Antenna

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor Antenna
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:07:22 -0600
The ground rod will work, but it will introduce more resistance to the
antenna feed than radials. It will tend to make the matching easier, but
the efficiency poorer.

The hazard with a ground rod is finding a sprinkler pipe, water pipe,
sewer pipe, phone line, or power line with the point of it as its
driven. Its hard to find out where those are ahead of time. The required
one call locators will probably mark water, sewer, phone, and power but
not the sprinkler. That can make slitting in radials just into the sod
nicer, but a whole lot more visible in the installation process.

A pair of wires tucked into the gap between dirt and house wall could be
a good start, should go in quick and be out of the way of mowing.

73, Jerry, K0CQ