Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:25:43 -0600
I found a mention in 1998 QST that refered to an article in World Radio
from 1955 that described NVIS, but I bet it didn't CALL it NVIS. The
concept was well known, just wasn't called NVIS until much later. As I
said before spark stations used low antennas and so were shooting
straight up. They worked the same ranges as modern NVIS antennas which
are NOT NEW, only the name is new.

That index is the Jan/Feb 2007 issue QEX page 55. The other entry is
May/June 2007 issue QEX page 50. Nearly 20 years after Pat Hawker's
first mention and the article by Brian Collins and Phillips in England
where I think NVIS was first called that.

73, Jerry, K0CQ