Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:15:43 -0600
Dual, single, triple, or quadruple 220K log pot is not going to be a
catalog item. 250K, maybe, but 500K has the best odds at a shop
specializing in fixing guitar amps. There are some of those on line with
pots at reasonable prices. 500K was the standard value for an audio gain
pot with tubes. Guitar amps like to use tubes yet. Now to make a 500K
linear pot do 220K log curve, put the pot in parallel with a 390K. If it
was a gain pot I'd put that from wiper to ground, but in this
application its a rheostat. This resistor will make the 500K linear pot
function close to a log curve and when the pot goes open will still keep
audio working.

211K is closer to 200K, pots never did pick values on the RETMA 10%
series, but round numbers like 100K, 250K, 500K, and 25K.

There is logic behind the 10K, 12K, 15K, 18K,... sequence for fixed
resistors. If you want to use every value resistor made and decide on
powers of 10 being desired, taking bands 10% wide with those values the
edges of the bands touch, so with the carbon composition process making
a considerable distribution of values, selection rejects none, then they
are marked after selection. Same thing for 5% and 20% sequences. I
suspect when demand for 5% resistors is high that 10% and 20% values are
missing the middle 5% and 20% may be missing the middle 10%. That the
wider tolerance resistors may only have the closer tolerance values when
demand for those closer tolerance resistors are lower than the demand
for the cheaper wide tolerance resistors. Today, making laser trimmed
film resistors, that continuous distribution isn't so prominent. There's
tolerance buts its more from trimming machinery slop than process
variations because the trimming or spiral cutting allows for variation
in film thickness. But that number sequence didn't get applied to pots
because they were never offered in as many values as fixed resistors.

73, Jerry, K0CQ