Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 01:23:23 -0500
On 2/7/2011 5:03 PM, NL7VL wrote:
> O.T. for just a bit ...

> I thought it was amazing that my Leslie Model 147 with a 40 watt rms
> tube amp could easily keep up with the (new at the time) 100-150 Peavey
> amps or PAs. That 40 watt tube amp and its exquisitely engineered tone
> cabinet could literally shake the plaster loose from a wall.

                I have Peavey Special 130... 130 watts solid state.
                I much prefer the 40 watt Fender.

                On his Extra Class Exam audio study CDs, Gordon West
                plays a sound clip of a ham talking on the about liking
                Peavey gear...  it is an odd clip that is contextually
                misplaced, but but I guess he thought it was apropos
                at the time...

  because of the nature of the tube's ability to clip
> harmonically, whereas a solid state amp will just distort everything
> evenly to the point where it sounds like mud.

                Hmm...  I suppose that would apply to tube-based
                linear amps and tube transceiver finals ?   Seems like
                our radios would benefit that.  Maybe that is why so
                many radio guys love the older, tube-based rigs.

There is just no way a
> guitarist (Ok - Hendrix) could stick his axe into the amp and get a
> string's harmonics to resonate and feed back without a tube amp.

                Hendrix used tube amps.  Marshall stack.  2 cabs.

                Solid state amps also feedback, but the sound is never
                the same.   Harsh.

> Also there is a certain coloration or warmth that is inherent with tube
> audio. But I would never use tubes to create a low-distortion audio
> amplifier. If I want the coloration, then I add a tube pre-amp.

                Interesting.

Thanks for allowing a brief OT slip, guys.
And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion...