Re: [TenTec] OII V2.044A

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OII V2.044A
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:17:25 -0600
Some ears work better at copying below the noise level than others.
W5WXV didn't do EME but he did long range terrestrial 2m CW contacts
regularly and in the lab he claimed he could detect a signal 20 dB below
the noise level. I know I've been in his shack while he was rag chewing
and I listened on the same speaker and heard nothing to copy. One time
at a CSVHF conference in Cedar Rapids, WB0TEM was demonstrating his
portable 1296 EME chatting on CW with K2UYH a big signal on the band.
Mark acted like he copied solid, I copied about half and many listened a
while and walked away shaking their heads, they copied nothing.

Ringing was a problem in the S-line vintage mechanical filters. They
would turn lightning into a craaaash while my old Q5er aligned to have a
pretty much gaussian passband heard clicks on the same antenna. The
vintage Tentec filters are good that way. They don't have as steep
skirts and as sharp corners as those vintage Collins filters, but that's
why they don't ring and why lightning is a click instead of a craaaash.
The time response of a filter is important, and wasn't always considered.

There is considerable EME still done on CW, some have the view that the
computer modes sometimes make contacts with the transmitter turned off.

5UN also made up for ringing with excess antenna and preamp gain. The
DSP audio filters are better narrow than most analog about ringing from
transients and keyed signals.

I had a 400Hz Inrad filter in a couple Kenwoods and it was ringing with
CW above about 30 wpm.

Hardware noise blankers needed 100 kHz or more to truly discriminate
against ignition noise and power line noise compared to desired signals.
The narrower the filter the longer a pulse and the closer it is to the
characteristics of desired signals and so its harder to discriminate
between signal and pulse noise. The pulse detection has to be down
before the ultimate bandwidth filtering in either case.

73, Jerry, K0CQ