Re: [TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:29:38 -0500
A quarter wave center fed wire has low radiation resistance and is very
capacitive. Bad phase angle. You run that through a 600 ohm line about a
quarter wave long, converts low R to high R and C to L. So your balun
sees high impedance that may be causing core saturation (for sure in a
voltage balun) and you see high Z at the tuner.

More wire at the antenna will shift the results, a quarter wave more
feed line would shift the results, but the easiest change is to lower
the characteristic impedance of the feeder by going to fatter wires or
closer spacing. I take you are using 6" spacers. For 300 ohms you need
only 1/2" spacers. A quarter wave of 600 ohm transforms a 20 ohm load to
18,000 ohms. A quarter wave of 300 ohm transforms that 20 ohm load to
4500 ohms which is somewhat easier to match. That 110 feet of feed line
is close to a half wave or multiple of a half wave on higher bands, so
the characteristic impedance has much less effect on the impedance seen
at the tuner.

73, Jerry, K0CQ