Re: [TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 19:40:30 -0500
A resonant antenna takes current better and current radiates. But when
the high current part of the antenna is in the loading coil it doesn't
radiate nearly as well as if the loading coil is connected a distance
from the feed point so the maximum current is in a straight wire. That's
presuming a single wire resonant as 1/4 wave so the opposite end is high
impedance and its low impedance at the feed point. It takes more coil at
the outer end than at the feed point to get resonance. A resonant
antenna is always easier to feed and a center fed half wave dipole or
end fed quarter wave presents impedances at resonance that match coax
pretty good.

73, Jerry, K0CQ