Re: [TenTec] Orion III

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion III
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 14:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
I don't have a Yaesu 5000 to listen to, but I think all of us on this
reflector with Orion IIs agree that the DSP NR needs further work.  It  works
pretty well (for me at least) on CW, but there is much room for  improvement
on SSB.  The NR in 2.044A is better than 2.041XT, but hopefully  the next
version will be better yet.

However, this appears to be a firmware issue, not a compelling reason  for
a new hardware platform (Orion III). So far, the only such reason that  has
attracted much support in this thread is the sub-receiver, which many would
like to see identical to the main receiver as in the K3.  Not everyone
needs, or is willing to pay for this, but as long as T-T keeps supporting  the
566 (and 565), we users can take our choice.

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 5/18/2011 5:50:30 P.M. GMT Standard Time, KF6E@mail.com