Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Model 715 question / Yamaha CM500 bias

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Model 715 question / Yamaha CM500 bias
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer2@q.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:41:19 -0700

>> Yes ... however, if I understand your suggestion, that will not supply
>> the required bias voltage, just provide a connector for it - I still
>> need a source for that voltage.
>
> +10V at pin 2 of the 715 mic connector.  Didn't you see p2 of the 715
> manual?
>
> 73, Barry N1EU

Since you mentioned the Yamaha CM500 - I can tell you that it will not take
the 10 volts - wont hurt it but it does not like it - (mine won't work with
the Orion - possibly because you simply cannot reduce the gain enough - but
whatever) .I just kept adding more resistance from the ten volts to the mic
element until it sounded OK. BUT its still way too much output - mic gain
has to be set very low - one of these days I am going to mke a voltage
divider up inside the connector shell .

The little battery voltage inserter that comes with the CM500 applies  the
voltage from two AAA cells in series (abt 3 volts) through 2200 ohms in
series.  So  it would appear Yamaha would like to have a 3 volt supply to
that mic.  The Orion works OK with that - I just have not gotten around to
re-doing my mike  8 pin to 1/8 inch adapter .  SSB not very high on my
priority list right now.

Hank K7HP