Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Model 715 question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Model 715 question
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 20:50:47 -0400
1)   Oops...  Not owning a HEIL Proset ... I missed the fact it comes
with a 1/8 inch phone plug.    Another list member politely told me
that, also...   Apparently, I need to be more rigorous when doing my
homework.

2)    With due deference to HEIL headsets which I concede are VERY
popular among ham operators,  I do not think of HEIL headsets when
thinking state of the art in headset connectivity.    While
acknowledging the popularity of HEIL headsets among hams,  HEIL is only
one among a bevy of headset manufacturers in the overall audio market,
and the 1/8 inch phone plug is NOT a standard connector except at HEIL's
house.

I have been a headset junkie for many years, and I am confident, except,
perhaps, for the HEIL products mentioned,  a 1/8 inch mono plug is NOT
standard equipment on these things.   I either own now, or have owned,
headsets by Sennheiser, Shure, AudioTechinica, BeyerDynamic, Eartec,
Telex, AKG, Andrea Electronics, Samson, Knowles, Emkay, and many more.
  I am familiar with the Pro-Com and Clear-Com lines and with the top
selling selling aviation headset lines.

Outside the HEIL line, these things do not commonly come with 1/8 inch
mono phone plugs.    I only have one headset, the Shure, the HW-501,
discontinued in the late 1990s, that has a 1/8 inch mono phone plug.

That is just MY take, anyway...  I guess I am guilty of confusing the
ham radio headset market (i.e., HEIL sets)  with the broader headset
market, in general.

THANK YOU ALL FOR PITCHING IN AND ANALYZING THIS WITH ME.

I am thinking the easiest solution is to either buy a pile of battery
boxes to provide the required bias voltage,... or make some up myself...
  instead of
trying to modify the innards of the Model 715, itself.   I guess the
bottom line is that I would have wired it for bias voltage, had it been
my original design;  and of anyone used a mono dynamic mic connector,
the bias voltage on the ring would shunt to ground on the plug shaft.
  That would make it work like a computer sound card.

THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME THINK THIS THROUGH !!!

Happy Trails.