Re: [TenTec] Using Ten-Tec Dynamic mics with Omni VI+

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using Ten-Tec Dynamic mics with Omni VI+
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 18:55:29 -0400
I have not tried the 777 with an Omni VI+ specifically,  but with an
Omni VII and found it required a bit more drive most other microphones I
have used.

As you know, it is a close-talking microphone such that your speak very
close to it, and set the volume accordingly, such that it hears you
well, but not the ambient room noise and, in this manner, is somewhat
"noise canceling" - more accurately noise "rejecting" I think ...
because the noise has a relatively low volume compared to your voice up
close.   If course you don't want to swallow it and over drive it, or
put it in front of your mouth  where you end up breathing on it... but
close to the corner of your mouth so it picks you up, and sort of
ignores ambient environmental noise.

Because it is a dynamic microphone, with a bit lower output signal
strength compared to other dynamic microphones, it is not surprising you
might need to increase the mic gain setting a bit.   This is especially
true when comparing it to electret condenser type microphones which
produce an relatively stronger output signal.  Electret microphones
typically run "hotter" than dynamic microphones.

Thus, what you report is consistent with my experience with the 777 on
my Omni VII.    I would not worry unless you have to really turn the mic
input way up high to get acceptable volume.   I run most microphones on
my rig at about 35-40%, while the 777 required a setting closer to
55-60%,  all within good ranges for the ALC to work well.

Consider making some recordings on your computer with the different
microphones, all using the same input volume, and you should see the
differences in "open signal voltage" - The real utility of this process
is in playing back the sound of your voice as you use the microphone in
different ways and under different conditions.  You can experiment using
it at various distances from your mouth, and at slightly different
angles relative thereto, listening to how the microphone changes
characteristics as you change its location.

For example, not all, but many, microphones exhibit what is called
"proximity effect."  This is the tendency to produce a sound that has
heavy bass or low frequency emphasis when you hold it very close,
perhaps within 2 to 4 inches, to your mouth;   while it produces a
thinner, more treble and less bass sound when used farther away,
typically 6 inches to ten inches, away.    Sometimes this proximity
effect is desired and makes you sound rich and full, while other times
you will prefer a thinner, more natural sound.  There is sweet spot for
each microphone that has this characteristic.

Moreover, if you speak too closely to some microphones, you can over
drive them, so testing a microphone at different distances from the
mouth, and at different speaking volumes, and listening to the results
on a recorder, will quickly help you find its particular sweet spot.  It
should sound to the radio pretty much as it sounds to your computer, so
what you learn about it should reliably transfer from the one
application to the other.   You will find that each microphone has
individual characteristics, and this is valuable knowledge, as you will
now use each microphone according to its own characteristics, and not
expect them to all work or sound alike.  That will help you get the most
out of each one, respectively, if you decide to change microphones along
the way.

Sometimes, I use a small preamplifier and route the microphone to the
radio line-in input which provides a  fairly robust signal, and provide
additional control over the input volume (the preamplifier has its own
volume control…)   I also believe the outboard preamplifier may provide
a cleaner, less distorted signal source than whatever preamplifier might
be built into the radio's microphone input circuit.  I don't know this
has a fact, but that is presumption based on my knowledge of other
devices with microphone input, such as computer sound cards.

  I acknowledge my comments are not specific to the Omni VI+, but I hope
useful nonetheless.

Happy Trails.