Re: [TenTec] Using Ten-Tec mics with Omni VI+

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using Ten-Tec mics with Omni VI+
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:17:55 -0400
On 6/22/2011 20:55, David Cuttler wrote:

> I do not use any Ten Tec microphones here.

                I use Shure, Sennheiser, and AudioTechnica headsets.

                Although I tested the TT Model 77 headset and thought
                it was a really nice microphone and headphones worth
                of the TenTec brand name.

I use a Shure 444D, and ... using a Shure 450 series II.

                Those are really good speech microphones for "sure."

mention that the 450 series II was purchased on ebay a few weeks
ago for $10.45 plus shipping. It was represented as used, but was
brand new,

                Oh... my.      That's a deal !    I am jealous.

> I just cannot see paying big bucks for "ham radio" mics. I think they are
> overrated.

                True.   A good mic is good enough.

                We see a similar problem in the speech recognition field.
                Some guys (typically vendors)  insist you need a $400
                Sennheiser  MD-431 II  to get good results -- while the
                recognition engine only samples at 11.5 Hz sampling rate,
                a narrow band, analogous to the narrow SSB bandwidth
                of (typically)  2600 Hz   (more or less.)

                A good microphone is good enough.  A better one is
                overkill.   I have a HEIL PR-20 I got from HEIL free
                when doing product test reviews for that other field...
                NICE mic, but more microphone than is required to get
                good audio for either ham radio or speech recognition.

                BUT... I don't blame a guy for getting one, because that
                way he KNOWS he has extremely high quality speech
                mic input, so that aspect of station construction is totally
                covered and can never be a problem or weak link.
                So, I can see a guy who spends upwards of $3000 on a rig,
                getting a nice mic to match,  but not spending $1200
                on a Neumann BCM 705 gold sputtered, large diaphragm
                broadcast studio grade microphone. . . . certainly not
                for 2600 Hz bandwidth.

                So, yeah, good is good enough.   Proof:  After all, guys
                really like those Yamaha BM-500 headsets, and they have
                a $2 computer grade electret mic capsule - and they DO
                work swell.

                Q.E.D.