Re: [TenTec] Solving PTO drift

To: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Solving PTO drift
From: Andrew Moore <andrew.nv1b@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 21:43:39 -0400
Bob, you are correct - I should clarify this is more of a jump than a steady
drift.  It wavers slowly, both plus and minus around the desired frequency.
 A fan blowing ambient air into the holes in the chassis near the PTO seemed
to help stabilize it tonight on a 1.5-hour sched, but that would indicate a
temperature problem, not (necessarily) a mechanical PTO one.  I did rebuild
the PTO nine months ago, with a Ten-Tec rebuild kit on hand, but to be
perfectly honest I can't remember if I used the kit or if I just cleaned the
parts!  In any case, it's also possible the lithium grease that I used isn't
favored by the PTO.  From what I understand, lithium grease hardens up a
little bit after the initial application.

More experimenting in order - thanks for your help.

--Andrew, NV1B
..