Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI/OMNI VII

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI/OMNI VII
From: Dave Humbertson <w3np@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:51:11 -0400
  I have both the VI plus and the Omni VII. I much prefer the way the NR
works on the 6+ as opposed to the 7. With the 6 the signal/noise ratio
seems to improve and the signals just jump right out of the noise. With
the 7, it almost sounds as though the noise is gated on and off when the
signal is present and I find that annoying to the point that I hardly
use NR on the 7. Some say they find it satisfactory, but I haven't come
up with any combo of setting that work for me. I work almost all CW, so
I can't really comment on SSB. Of course I run the RF gain way down on
both rigs and the AF up using RF gain to control loudness.

Other than that I prefer using the 7, it just seems smoother and the
receiver is very quiet. I hardly ever use the on-demand bandscope.

The 6 has a part (IC I think) that is pretty much getting to be
unobtainable, so that could be a minor reason to upgrade. I got the 7
and just kept the 6 in another operation position. I like them both.

All of this is just my opinion of course.

73, Dave - W3NP