Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 06:28:09 -0500

On 11/30/2011 10:01 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:

> There is a tuner built by Plastar which can do this.

                This is the AT-AUTO.    I have one.

                But you cannot locate it at the base of the
                big stick outside.

> It uses a real variable capacitor and variable inductor rather than switched
> fixed values, but it is not made for remote use, not waterproof, and costs
> WAY too much money to place out in the yard.

                Palstar's new auto tuner can be located and
                operated remotely.   It will cost over $1500 US.

                Ouch.

> There are a couple of Auto Tuners here in Europe that can do this too, and
> they are weather-proof and built for remote use, but one costs about $2400,
> the other $4000+.

                I have seen them.   Too costly for me.

> The coax will normally always be in the equation to some extent.
> Luckily if you get the match fairly close to 1:1, it will be negligible.

                I agree, but you clearly get my point, that locating
                the tuner outside at the foot of the big stick
                does render the coax far less a factor than if I
                tune it all in the shack.