Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and power grid noise

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and power grid noise
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:44:59 -0500
I have also encountered power line problems which the power company decided
were was not worth fooling with. Here are some allies known to help:

1. Most States have a utility commission that welcomes consumer input. In
addition, many states have measurement and exposure guidelines. Companies
have to file reports, most annually, denoting facility inspections and
customer service response time.

2. If you're in a rural area, farmers can be a great benefit, especially if
they have an association. I've seen complaints that leaky power lines affect
milk and egg production. (Don't laugh, because the squeeky wheel gets the
oil) It's been known that arking insulators have been replaced to pacify
the crowd.

3. Local AM Radio stations. There's nothing compared to the outrage of a
station manager on a campaign because he's loosing market share due to
his signal being affected by local interference. Usually two different
callers in the same geographic area complaining is sufficient.

4. Cable TV nearby? Cable companies are required to do 'leakage' surveys
and nothing makes them look better than complaining that any leaks are
aggrevated by the power company. --Especially on return paths and lower
frequency video.

Good luck,

73 de Phil - N8PS

PS. I believe there's an element of Federal Responsibility regarding
leakage on the Grid.