[TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:52:25 +0000
Here's some calculations to support that last comment:

Solid dielectric coax Vf=0.66 and foam dielectric coax Vf=0.85,
therefore relative dielectric constants must be 2.29 and 1.38 respectively.

So, if we keep the coax outer diameter the same, the foam inner
conductor must increase by SQRT(2.29/1.38)=1.288; that makes the RF
resistance 0.776 times what it was.

If we assume a loss of 1.8dB in a particular length of solid dielectric
cable, that reduction in RF conductor resistance reduces the losses to
1.5dB - *exactly the quoted figure*.

In other words the increased centre conductor diameter and the
consequent reduced copper losses *exactly* account for the quoted
difference in cable loss; *losses in the dielectric are not a
significant factor*.

73,
Steve G3TXQ