Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] --- and balanced fed verticals

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] --- and balanced fed verticals
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:19:27 +0100
I agree Jim, but are you implying that you cannot use openwire to feed an
unbalanced antenna?
What about the original Zepp?
It was 100% unbalanced.  One of the two lines was left open at the antenna
end.

The whole point (IMO) of using openwire these days is to reduce loss.
Otherwise we would just use coax.

Another Example:  Vertical dipole, non-resonant, base about 5 ft. off the
ground, center-fed with openwire.
This is an antenna I've used for some 20 years.
OBVIOUSLY, it is not 100% balanced because one side is so much closer to the
ground.
Running this antenna on 80m from Oklahoma, I was easily working any
continent in the world.
I'm not sure I would have had those results using coax.
(the dipole was only 9m per side).

In my opinon, openwire is an excellent feedline to use, even when the
antenna is not perfectly balanced.

73
Rick, DJ0IP