Re: [TenTec] 566 Orion II Firmware Version V3.029---SpectrumDisplay&Tuni

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 566 Orion II Firmware Version V3.029---SpectrumDisplay&Tuning...
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:51:58 -0500
Thanks.

To the best of my understanding the AGC is not audio derived.  I recall an
firmware option with the Orion series that allowed the operator to choose
which system from which the AGC was derived.  My recall is that the audio
derived system had several shortcomings.

The AGC is exactly that, an automatic gain control.  Don't confuse this with
AVC {automatic volume control}systems known to be used in earlier radios.
These indeed were audio derived and usually with very long decay times to
minimize gain pumping.  In most radios today, usually there's at least 2 AGC
loops, one controlled by the RF Gain and other circuits to prevent overload
and another inside the DSP loop to prevent overload of the DSP system.  The
operator usually has control of the loop outside of the loop for the DSP
system.  Since digital systems have a fixed number of bits for processing,
exceeding that bit range dynamically causes a big "splat" where the system
doesn't know how to process the excess number.  Thus the need for the DSP
loop to control the dynamic range within the DSP system.

In reading through the posts, I see some dispersion in this discussion
between the Orion II and other Tentec radios such as the Omni VII and Eagle
that I have on the desk.  Perhaps this where some of the confusion exists.

Someone made reference to the Omni VI Plus.  This is a100% analog radio all
the way, with exception to the audio DSP system,  thus with regard to
Attenuation and such pertaining to S meter display, all bets are off.  I've
owned 2 of these and, over the years, repaired numerous ones of the Omni and
Paragon series.

The Collins 75S-3B RF Gain does affect the S meter reading in that reducing
the RF Gain causes the S meter to move up scale accordingly.  Again this is
basically applying a DC control voltage to the RF and IF stages in effect to
reduce the gain.  Hence the S meter then shows the amount of gain reduction
in S units.  Any signal over that value is correctly displayed on the S
meter.

Sorry for any confusion between the radios.

73
Bob, K4TAX