Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: "Jim WA9YSD" <wa9ysd@yahoo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 17:32:42 -0500
Station ground and electrical ground must be bonded together according to
the National Electrical Code.

My experience of more than thirty years has been with eight foot copper clad
ground rods driven through the bottom of the basement sump wells. Both rods
are bonded together and to the cold water pipe and the grounding lug -
neutral bond of the house electrical Main Distribution Panel IAW the
National Electrical Panel.

The grounding lugs of the electrical outlets for my station are connected to
the nearest sump ground rod (supplemental ground IAW NEC) as are the RF
grounding connections of ALL station equipment. Grounding conductors for RF
are copper braid with a maximum length of ten feet.  The sump nearest the
desk receives salt water discharge from our water softener, the sump
furthest away receives laundry water discharge. Outside ground rods enter
water-bearing clay at approximately four feet (dry conditions).

All antennas are at DC ground and RF and control cables protected to ground
outside. The outside grounds are bonded to the MDP ground outside.

For years I believed the station ground could be separate;  commercial
classes in Power and Grounding, Lightning Protection, and the National
Electrical Code, which I attended as required by my employer changed my
opinion. The first thing I did in my shack after returning home was to bond
the station ground to the cold water pipe and MDP!

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M