Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 12:09:11 -0700
On 5/19/2012 4:24 PM, Jim WA9YSD wrote:
> To be with in NFPA, NEC you can make a common mode choke by slipping some
> beads around the electrical ground connecting to the station ground as long
> as you do not wind the electrical grounding conductor into a coil to make a
> choke. This will separate the station ground and electrical ground so as not
> to create a ground loop.. Exception to the rule.

NO, NO, NO, NO!  First, beads do virtually NOTHING below 100 MHz or so.
Second, adding a choke that DID do anything would violate NEC because
NEC requires a LOW IMPEDANCE bond.  Lightning is NOT a DC event, it is
an impulse with a fast rise time, which makes it an RF event.  Thus, to
satisfy NEC, the bonding of grounds must be a low impedance to at least
5 MHz.

As to a "tuned" or shielded ground -- pure BS.

Sorry for the late reply -- I'm en route home from Dayton.

73, Jim K9YC