Re: [TenTec] Burnishing tool?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Burnishing tool?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:32:37 -0400

On 7/15/2012 1:11 PM, w8au@sssnet.com wrote:
> At 11:13 PM 7/14/2012, Richards wrote:
>> Does anybody use a burnishing tool to clean contacts?  I seem to recall
>> RadioShack selling such a thing years ago.  Not having one, I sometimes
>> use an old ink eraser.  Are there better ideas for this?
>
> Nothing better, but if you need something in a hurry, use a
> clean dollar bill.   Very rugged, no shedding, and has a slightly
> coarse surface.

        Good suggestion.

        I usually use strip from a paper grocery bag,
        as it is one of the least coated types of
        coarse paper  (coated in the sense that paper
        is processed with various "coatings" meaning
        chemicals used in the finishing process)  a
        suggestion from a college friend who studied
        paper science.  He quit industrial chemistry
        to become a minister... for which he was well
        suited...

(need I add -- pull through closed contacts, not push?) :-)

        Nope.    (Thank goodness!)     ;-)

        OBSERVATION -  There is a guy on eBay who is
        selling these burnishing tools as a tool for
        cleaning and polishing the silver contacts on
        our code keys - but I would NEVER use something
        as coarse and abrasive on those little contact
        pads.  I figure after spending upwards of $200 on
        a key, I am very careful about how I clean it.
        Maybe I am overly cautious, but that is just MY
        take...  You suppose I am being too careful ?