Re: [TenTec] Burnishing tool?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Burnishing tool?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:42:31 -0400

On 7/15/2012 1:33 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> Ink eraser to clean edge contacts or otherwise is a bad idea due to the
> outgas of an acid compound and Sulfur.  Rub it on a surface and smell.

        Really...?   Well Shoot.

        I figured the rubber eraser would be pretty
        harmless...  actually, looking at it,  it seems
        more of a soft rubber art eraser than an ink
        eraser, but still... never considered it would
        leave any deleterious residue.

        Thanks for the primer on using the spray
        products... it matches what I learned from
        the SWL crowd years ago before I became a ham.
        I usually spray a cotton swab and apply from
        there.  Your instructions are even more
        detailed, and therefore appreciated.

        FURTHER QUESTION -

        SO... WHAT DO I USE TO PREPARE A NEW CIRCUIT
        BOARD, SUCH AS FOUND IN A TEN-TEC RADIO KIT?
        It seems like the boards don't wanna take solder
        so I figure they have oxidized just a bit in
        the package before reaching my work bench.

        EXTRA BONUS QUESTION -

        I need to buy solder... what do I get?
        I was considering a 1 lb spool of Kester
        no-clean 63/37, 31 mm diameter,  but maybe
        there is is a better choice ???

        THANKS !!!

        I am in middle of building a TT Model 12254
        receiver kit, and an also building an antenna
        analyzer kit,  and just finished the TT 1225
        SWR/WATTMETER Kit - which turned out swell and
        seems to work right !   (for a novice kit builder
        having it turn out right is the amazing part...
        I have not reached the point where I can expect
        it to work right immediately upon finishing it...)