Re: [TenTec] 40m BCI and Ten-Tec vs. Elecraft

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 40m BCI and Ten-Tec vs. Elecraft
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:52:07 -0700
On 7/21/2012 8:28 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> Since Elecraft refused to create a mod for the K2, I did it myself and it
> can be downloaded from my web site, here:http://www.dj0ip.de/downloads/

I didn't see a pre-selector on that page, Rick, only a patch point to
insert one.

>   This is just one of about 300 reasons why I like Ten-Tec, and also why I
> like Ten-Tec even better than Elecraft.

Your observation that Elecraft was unresponsive to your request is
factually wrong.  You apparently have not noticed that the K3 includes a
patch point between the T/R relay and the receiver input that can be
used to insert a preamp or preselector -- EXACTLY what you asked for.
The Omni VII and K3 were introduced within a year of each other -- the
Omni VII was reviewed by ARRL in July 2007, the K3 only nine  months
later, in April 2008.  I'd say the only difference is that Elecraft
didn't send you one to test.

Thousands of Elecraft owners consider the company quite responsive. For
example, the K2 was originally designed as a QRP rig that worked CW on
80-10M. SSB, the 100W power amp, 160M capability, and so on were all
done in response to suggestions from users! A major design criteria was
low current drain  so that it lasted longer on batteries.

Further, the much higher performance K3 was designed for the more
demanding ways in which guys were trying to use the K2. Beginning with
the conceptual design and throughout the development process there was
extensive communication with demanding users, which has had a lot to do
with the success of the product. AND they have been quite responsive to
suggestions and feature requests from users in the form of firmware
upgrades and a few hardware mods.

You don't have to spend much time on the Elecraft reflector to notice
that both OWNERS of the company read it regularly and respond directly
to users.

Example One: A few days ago, someone posted that they were trying to use
the new KX3 (a super-compact QRP rig designed for backpacking) on JT65
on 6M, and that the frequency wasn't sufficiently stable to allow
decoding.  The post was at about 4:15 PM California time. Within about
45 minutes Wayne Burdick (the OWNER and designer of the KX3) had
responded; by about 8:45 PM he, the original poster, and several other
sophisticated users had had a very positive exchange, and Wayne had
committed to fixing it and offering several optional ways to do it -- a
high stability oscillator that would fit inside the radio where a 2M
transverter was designed to fit, or external to the radio as a small
add-on module.

Example Two:  Several years ago some guys were on a DX trip and emailed
to friends that they were having problems with a K3. That mail got
forwarded to Wayne, and he communicated directly with them to fix the
problem.

Example Three:  Elecraft PAYS several very sharp guys to monitor that
email reflector and help answer typical user questions.

Because I own (and love) several Ten Tec power amps and previously owned
an Omni V and Omni A, I've read this reflector for quite a few years.  I
can't recall  seeing much evidence that anyone other than a salesman
reads this reflector, let alone responds to it.  In fact, I'm sure I
could count such responses without taking my shoes off.

73, Jim K9YC