Re: [TenTec] Boards with obsolete parts

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Boards with obsolete parts
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 07:33:03 -0500
Sorry I didn't finish.  The cat stepped on the keyboard

I see this as no different than the insurance and auto business when a
vehicle is in an accident, often it is declared "totaled".  Otherwise not
worth repairing.  Unfortunately with our radios, we need to view the issue
much the same way.  Thus when does the cost to repair exceed the value of
the radio.  If one can buy a decent and working Paragon for $450 and then a
year later find out that it will cost $100 or more to repair it, is it worth
it?  Likely not.

In my case, I've repaired quite a few Paragon's and Omni V's and VI's.
Frankly, if I fairly charged for the parts and labor hours at a reasonable
rate, the true repair would likely exceed the intrinsic value of the radio.
Again, in my case, I don't make a living and thus not needed to be
"profitable".  I just do it to help fellow hams.  ***I am not nor will I
solicit any products for repair.  I'm retired and will only repair my own
products.***

With regard to companies "legal" liability for product support, as I recall
most laws in the US, for non-consumer products which ham radios falls in,
required support is limited to the term of the warranty, otherwise 1 year
and in some cases 90 days.  In Europe there is a longer time limit, I forget
the period.  Still, once the product gets outside of the 7 to 10 period,
frankly you're on your own regardless of the company.

Should any company support a product past these terms, consider them GREAT
and generous and well meaning.  In many if not most cases, it just won't
happen in today's economy.

73
Bob, K4TAX