Re: [TenTec] TT 580 Delta

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 580 Delta
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 21:43:09 +0200
James,

You probably don't need one.
As I said, the conditions here in Europe are totally different from those in
the states.
40m was the only band I needed a preselector for the OM7.  For the other
bands, if anything was needed, then a bit of attenuation did the job.

The Braun preselectors seem to be worth their weight in gold.
They are no longer built and sell for more today than they cost new.
Besides that, I only see about one per year on the used market.
People tend to hang on to them.

You could also build one.  The instructions are on our web site here:
http://www.bavarian-contest-club.de/projects/presel/list.htm
The problem is, I don't know where you would be able to get a front panel,
and the detailed instructions are only available in German.
We used to bulk order the front panels.
The rest of the components are very common.

However there is still one more source.  It's MFJ.
You can find info here:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1046
And here: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1048
I'll leave it up to you to determine where they got the design from.  ;-)
The 1046 has to go in the RX antenna path.
The 1048 has a PTT relay and can go in the normal antenna line...which works
OK for SSB but with a QSK transceiver like your OM7, you might burn the T/R
relay contacts.  No problem, you can insert either of these directly in the
RX antenna path.  Simple mod.  May even be a kit available from Ten-Tec.

The Braun preselector was better than these three, but either of these three
should be good enough.
By the way, the Braun originally cost more than all of the other three
together!
I know the BCC preselector is good enough, but I've never used the MFJ
product.

Rockwell Collins sells a Model PR-2025, but it probably costs more than the
Omni VII !

73
Rick, DJ0IP