Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??
From: Floyd Rodgers <kc5qbc@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:40:44 -0500
I've blown several regulator chips in my 35a. Last time around I just bought a handful. Simple fix since it is socketted. I hear if you tie the negative terminal to the case/ground, it ends the problem that kills the regulator, but it also means you can no longer run two units in series to get 24v if needed. I went a different path for shack power using two 100ah deep cycles and a 40a rv inverter supply (not a switcher!). Works well since the radios stay up for about 5 days after the AC mains go down. It also takes care of the occasional 60a loads the astron could not handle. .